Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What Does It Mean to Be A Social Entrepreneur?...what a loaded question

Well friends, this post is summarized all in the title. What does it actually mean to be a social entrepreneur? I don't have a clear cut answer for you because I find it to be a title that can apply to anybody- it just has different meaning for everybody. However, I can offer you some insight into my thoughts on the subject.

High school, in hindsight, I imagine is when this whole concept of social entrepreneurship began to apply to me. I had always been involved, simply because that is what I was good at. I was good at taking plans or ideas and putting them into action. This really came to light when I, on a whim, decided to run for Vice President of senior class. Leading my peers was just something that came naturally, as it still does.

So fast forward three years, and here I am today reflecting on my college experience thus far. As a third year college student, I assume that my college experience has been very similar to many others. I've switched my major and my "future plan" (whatever that means anyway) approximately 4 or 5 times. I transferred from Miami University after my freshman year, and came into Ohio State knowing nobody. As a side note, meeting people has never been hard for me. I'm generally very outgoing and can relate to people pretty easily. But when I found myself at a school of 50,000+ students, most of which had already established friend groups/ been involved in clubs (activities that many freshman do together in their dorms, etc.), I was really unsure of how I was actually going to meet people. I realize how big of an oxymoron this is- there was nothing but people around me, yet I still wasn't sure how to meet any of them. So I waited about a week or two, still adjusting to my class schedule and my long walks to class, all the while contemplating what my next move would be. Before I knew it, I had joined three clubs- just because I could. Because my crazy self likes to be involved in about 1,200 things at once, and just being a general member of these groups would eventually not be enough for me, I decided to run for an executive position within my sorority and took leadership positions in two other organizations as well. And here I am today- a constantly stressed, overly involved, maximum-credit-taking nut. And I like it. What is wrong with me?

To make a long story even longer, I have come to realize (after more than a healthy amount of mental breakdowns) that no two life paths are the same. And that is the wonderful, awful, maddening, and awesome part of life. Because I have accepted this fact, I have become a very flexible leader. I think my strong suit in any leadership position is my ability to adjust when needed. Naturally, I was born a creative problem solver: when someone is sad, I find a way to fix it; when a plan doesn't work, I find a new one; when studying gets boring, I make up a game.

I think my natural inclination to come up with creative ways to solve problems as I see them, combined with my acquired world view and experiences has refined my abilities as a social entrepreneur. These traits are what I bring to the leadership table. Since they are entirely unique when combined with my world perspectives, this makes me a social entrepreneur. I may not always come up with the ideas that need to be implemented, but I can find a way to work with others to turn their ideas into action. And I can dodge many bumps in the road along the way- all while having fun doing it. Leadership is what I am passionate about, and that over all else, is what makes me a social entrepreneur.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah! First of all, I love the title of this post and I totally agree :)

    I love that you said that you like to come up with creative ways to sold problems and I think that is a very important trait to posess as a leader. I often think that leaders are the people that can step outside of the box and find a way to solve a problem, and then lead others to their solution. Your world perspectives are a very helpful factor in being a leader because you can look at a problem from a diferent perspective. That is always something that I admire in my leaders and a great trait to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah!

    Such a great outlook on what a social entrepreneur means! There is definitely no clear cut answer. I love that you jumped right in at OSU and got involved. Your great quality of being a flexible leader is definitely why you easily climb up the ranks. Bringing up perspective is crucial. Our different outlooks and perspectives are vital to our lives. Even though being positive everyday is easier said then done, powerful accomplishments can stem from it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has frequent mental breakdowns from being pulled into so many different directions haha but that means we're working hard and we can decipher what we truly love. I'm jealous you're so creative and I hope it rubs off on me!

    ReplyDelete